What makes it so simple is that for the most part you can modify it based on what's in your kitchen.
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice (1 cup dry rice)
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli (or any frozen veggies)
- 2-3 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cans of cream soup (I use this recipe to make my own)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 grated cheese, any variety
- Crumb topping (I crunched up some croutons)
- Combine soup, yogurt, curry paste, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.
- Layer ingredients: Rice, vegetables, chicken, top it off with the sauce (all of it) crumbs and cheese.
Bake in pre heated oven, 350, for 25 minutes.
Just some notes:
- I've made this with mixed veggies (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli), stir fry veggies, peas and carrots. All taste great!
- This most recent time, I made my own cream of chicken soup, and added 1 tub of Marsala sauce that I had frozen in the freezer (about a half a cups worth).
- Curry paste is a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. 1 jar contains 12 servings (24 tablespoons) and I only use 1 tablespoon in this recipe. I have not made the recipe with the curry powder.
- The original recipe calls for mayonnaise, which I do not use. I use yogurt instead. You can use mayonnaise or sour cream.
- If you are short on time and want to skip the oven step, microwave veggies until soft. Add veggies, soup mixture and chicken to the rice. Set stove to low and sprinkle with cheese. Cover until ready to serve.