Here are a few simple meals I have established as "go to" packaged meals, and some changes I make to make them a little healthier. You can do one, or all of the options for each and it tastes great.
Macaroni and Cheese (any brand)-
- 1 cup of whole wheat macaroni noodles, added before the water starts to boil.
- 1/2 cup of pureed squash. The color doesn't change much because the yellow squash resembles the cheese sauce when it is pureed.
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. Add this after you drain the cooked pasta.
- 1 cup any variety of whole wheat pasta. I think hamburger helper is too salty, so I always add pasta to extend the meal.
- 1 bag frozen veggies. Cook veggies and add once hamburger helper is done.
Boxed Pasta Salad
- I always add enough pasta to double the recipe, because this is very salty, and has a lot of flavor. Even after adding more pasta, it tastes great. You can freeze the leftovers in muffin tins, then place in a freezer bag. It will thaw overnight in the refrigerator.